Level 4 'Learning and Skills Mentor'

An apprenticeship designed to support educators to mentor and coach learners to develop the skills and atttributes they need for learning success.

Our Services

Upskill your staff

Upskilling your staff has never been easier or more affordable. Offered in partnership with PDT, this apprenticeship allows schools to upskill their learning support staff in mentoring and coaching to improve academic and pastoral outcomes for all learners.

This apprenticeship is coordinated and delivered by Greg James, a former secondary school SENDCo with a wealth of experience supporting young people with additional needs.

Thanks to the Apprenticeship Levy*, it comes at no additional financial cost to the school or the apprentice.

get more information or apply >

Key Features

The apprenticeship:

  • a 12 month programme for full-time staff. 
  • Apprentices benefit from:
    - monthly group training sessions around theories of coaching and mentoring,
    - monthly 1:2:1 personal coaching sessions and regular reviews of their progress across the apprenticeship standards.
  • Uses practical evidence taken from the apprentice's day-to-day job using methods such as observations, witness statements or session plans for assessment. No essay writing required!
  • A flexible approach, including scaffolded resources, to allow to you fit Apprenticeship commitments around your schedule.

Learning Outcomes

At the end of the apprenticeship, the apprentice will be able to:

  1. Plan, conduct and record mentoring activities to support the progression of the mentee working within legal and ethical frameworks, including confidentiality and safeguarding.
  2. Use strategies to establish and maintain expectations and boundaries of mentoring contract, including recognising starting points of mentee, agreed development needs, potential barriers to development and where relevant, other stakeholders needs.
  3. Select and use mentoring models, tools and techniques to support mentee to make desired changes, demonstrating responsiveness to the individual mentee needs.
  4. Demonstrate awareness of own values, beliefs and behaviours and their effect on the mentor/mentee relationship.
  5. Provide support to the mentee providing information, advice and guidance, working within own professional boundaries and recognising requirements for referral to other professional services where required.
  6. Establish rigorous evaluation processes with mentee to support reflection on effectiveness of mentoring relationship.
  7. Evaluate and reflect on effectiveness of own practice for the purpose of self-development.
  8. Make sustainably informed decisions in approaches used to plan, conduct, record and evaluate mentoring practice.
  9. Maintain records of mentoring practice and recording of continual professional development activities.

More information about the apprenticeship is available on the Institute for Apprenticeships website.


Frequently asked questions...

Why apprenticeships?

Apprenticeships are a fantastic option for employers to consider,whether recruiting a new member of staff, or thinking about upskilling anexisting member of staff.

What is an Apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a way for individuals to gain qualificationsand experience, whilst working alongside your other employees. Anapprenticeship must provide for a practical period of work and training thatlasts for a minimum duration of 12 months.

Who is eligible for this apprenticeship?

Apprenticeships can be suitable for anyone aged 16+, there is no upper age limit. The apprentice must be employed and have a contract of employment.

How much does it cost to run?

Apprenticeships are at no cost the apprentice, and 98% of businesses pay a maximum of just 5% of the apprenticeship training costs. The government pays the remaining 95%.

Are current employees eligible for apprenticeships?

Yes – government will support apprenticeship training for all.

Existing employees from the shop floor to director-level are eligible for apprenticeships. In fact, higher-level apprenticeships for senior staff are some of the fastest growing groups of apprenticeships.

Can graduates do an apprenticeship?

Yes – as long as it’s a different subject or above degree level.

A degree is a level 6 qualification. As such, a graduate can study a suitable level 7 apprenticeship or take a level 2-6 apprenticeship as long as they are learning 'substantive new skills'. For example: an english literature graduate could start a level 3 mechanical engineering apprenticeship. Whereas it's unlikely that a mechanical engineering graduate could.

Still have a question?

If you cannot find answer to your questions in our FAQ, you can always contact us.

Two people laugh and discuss what is on their respective notepads and laptops.
A button to take the user back to the top of the page.